Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Deep Thoughts

My time incapacitated allowed me to do a lot of thinking, particularly when my head wasn't throbbing, and the topic that entered my thoughts the most was over-training (odd as I wasn't really doing any kind of training).

My question is that why are there people who work hard labor jobs (concrete, construction, heavy loading, etc.) for eight hours or more every day then follow that up with a trip to the gym who have no concern what so ever for over-training; then there are guys who sit at a computer all day and visit a gym 3-4 days a week who complain about suffering injuries stemming from over use?

Wouldn't the person who beats their body up at work on a daily basis, then goes for a heavy session at the gym be the one more likely to suffer from "over-training"? - from my experience this rarely seems to be the case.

Is over-training just a concept that's related to workload in the gym as it compares to workload on a day to day basis - and if so then shouldn't the office worker who places lighter demands on his or her body adapt to their activity as well (if not easier) than the laborer who is constantly putting their body in a stressful situation?

I've noticed that I don't tend to recover quite as quickly since taking on a more sedentary career, I had just chalked it up to aging and the natural slowing of my recuperative process - maybe there's more to it than that.

Anyone who has any thoughts, feel free to post them in the comments as I'm interested to hear someone else's perspective on this. For now I think I'm going to try and increase my daily workload a bit, without doing anything to change my heavier days to see if there is any positive effect overall.

No comments:

Post a Comment