Monday, June 28, 2010

Scorching Hot Weekend

It didn't take long for the Dog Days of Summer to hit us in the Northeast.  It was in the mid 90s with high humidity yesterday and it looks like Mother Nature has more of the same planned for us today.  When the extreme weather hits, lots of people use that as an excuse to bag their workout - I hear lots of "it's too hot to run," or "I can't ride my bike in the rain," but don't fall into this pattern.

Once you start making excuses to skip workouts, even if they seem perfectly viable, it only gets easier to make an excuse to skip the next one.  You can still workout in the heat, in the cold or in the rain if you take the proper precautions to ensure that you are prepared.

According to the ever reliable weather people, it felt like around 99 degrees yesterday at noon but I didn't use that as an excuse to alter my plans.  I strapped on my running shoes and set out on a four+ mile run any, I knew it was hot so I made sure I had more than enough water to get me through the workout and I stuck a little closer to home.

If you've got to alter your plans a little to get in a workout - do it.  There is no need to blow off a workout just because it's warmer, cooler or wetter than you had hoped.  Take the proper precautions to be safe and get the workout in regardless of what the elements throw at you.

No comments:

Post a Comment