Monday, June 21, 2010

Kickin' it Old School

I don't know if it's all the World Cup action we've been watching or the fact that two of her cousins are active in the sport, but lately my daughter has been talking more and more about playing soccer.  Registration is coming up soon and we have been kicking a ball around a bit of late, and yesterday I took out a footbag (hacky sack) for her to try some kicks on.

I know the two sports are different, but there is nothing like kicking a footbag to develop the dexterity and foot/eye coordination required to excel in soccer.  I spent plenty of time every day during middle and high school kicking both by myself and with who ever was around, and at that time I had no problem what so ever handling a soccer ball.

It took her a few minutes to grasp the concept, but once she made contact a few times she seemed to really enjoy it.  It's been a good fifteen years since I've had an eager footbag partner - if she keeps up interest this could be good for my cardio and flexibility.

For those of you who don't have a whole lot of familiarity with the sport of footbag, or haven't seen what's been going on in this still pretty underground activity - here's a video of what some of these outrageously talented individuals are capable of with nothing more than their feet and  filled bag not much bigger than a golf ball...

No comments:

Post a Comment