Monday, May 25, 2009

Desperately Seeking... Mobility - and wearing crazy shoes


I'm a pretty strong guy, I have good reactions and reasonable speed but one thing that's always been neglected in my training has been mobility. My hips and shoulders both get stiff after certain workouts and now I feel that this neglect is holding me up in certain areas of my training.

A ways back I received quite the deal on a pair of Vibram Five Finger shoes, at that point this unusual form of footwear only had one style and two colors to choose from. I jumped on the chance to grab a pair because I had heard excellent things through the grapevine in regards to them helping to realign the lower body and do wonders for the joints from the ankles up.

Long story short, I wore them maybe two or three times and tossed them in the closet, much like I've done with every other attempt to focus on my joint mobility. Well in an effort to truly become a "complete" and fully functional athlete, I've broken out the "Five Fingers" again. If you've never seen this unique form of footwear, that's a pic at the beginning of the post - and you can find out more info by clicking here

I wore my "Five Fingers" all weekend, which included quite a bit of walking and though I don't necessarily feel like an entirely new person, my lower body does feel a bit looser and free-er than I expect it would have if I'd worn my regular shoes.

I also ordered a book by Scott Sonnen on Prasara Yoga (aka body flow), I hope that by implementing Prasara workouts and frequently foregoing my regular shoes in favor of a more barefoot alternative that all of my mobility problems will soon be a thing of the past - after all, what good is strength if you can't fully implement it in situations where it may be necessary?

Oh - I also had a nice workout yesterday consisting of about 90% kettlebell work (cleans, jerks, snatches, BUPs, Anchor Pulls and juggling) and about 10% bodyweight stuff (push ups, divebombers, squats and chins) It was performed circuit style and I worked up a mighty sweat to go along with all of the huffing and puffing.

No comments:

Post a Comment